The National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), is comprised of nine distinct Centers and is a critical national resource in national and global weather prediction providing a wide variety of national and international weather guidance products. These National Centers (click map to enlarge) consists of:
- Aviation Weather Center
- The AWC provides aviation warnings and forecasts of hazardous flight conditions at all levels within domestic and international air space.
- Climate Prediction Center
- The CPC monitors and forecasts short-term climate fluctuations and provides guidance information on the long-term global effects climate patterns can have on the nation.
- Environmental Modeling Center
- The Environmental Modeling Center develops and improves numerical weather, climate, hydrological and oceanic predictions through programs of applied research in data analysis, modeling and product development in partnership with the broader research community.
- Ocean Prediction Center
- The Marine Prediction Center issues weather warnings and forecasts, in graphic, text and voice formats for the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
- NCEP Central Operations
- NCEP Central Operations sustains and executes the operational suite of the numerical analysis and forecast models providing support to the NWS weather forecast offices. It also links all nine of the national Centers together via computer and communications-related services.
- Space Weather Prediction Center
- The Space Weather Prediction Center provides space weather alerts and warnings for disturbances that can affect people and equipment working in space and on earth.
- Storm Prediction Center
- SPC provides tornado and severe weather watches for the contiguous United States along with a suite of hazardous weather forecasts, mesoscale guidance products and a continuous watch on mesoscale atmospheric processes.
- Tropical Prediction Center
- TPC provides official NWS forecasts of the movement and strength of tropical weather systems and issues the appropriate watches and warnings for the US and surrounding areas. It also issues a suite of marine products covering the tropical Atlantic and eastern Pacific.
- Weather Prediction Center
- WPC provides guidance, analysis, and forecast products, including quantitative precipitation forecasts, real-time weather model diagnostics discussions, and surface pressure and frontal analyses.