|SKYWARN Training from NWS Mobile/Pensacola|
SKYWARN Spotter Training
There are currently no outreach events scheduled.
Classes have ended for the spring season. They will resume late this summer into the fall.
- Basic SkyWarn Class
- This is the introductory course that describes the basic forms of severe weather, what NWS SkyWarn spotters do, basic spotting techniques, how to make reports to NWS Mobile/Pensacola and basic storm safety.
- Lasts approximately 1.5 - 2 hours
- Advanced SkyWarn Class
- This course covers (in greater detail) storm structure, tornadogenesis, basic parameters NWS Meteorologists look for to determine severe storm potential and basic radar meteorology.
- Lasts approximately 1.5 hours
- Other Topics
- These courses cover other meteorological topics such as tropical weather, marine weather, fire weather, etc.
- Lasts approximately 1 hour
There are no formal prerequisites for the Basic SkyWarn class; however, we recommend attendees take our online training beforehand...
For the Advanced SkyWarn class, we request that attendees first take the Basic SkyWarn class to have a basic foundation for the more advanced topics that will be covered.
Related SkyWarn Links:
- NWS Mobile/Pensacola SkyWarn Page
- SkyWarn Spotter's Field Guide (26.58 MB)
- SkyWarn Online Training Modules by COMET - MetEd
- NWS Jetstream - An Online School for Weather
- NOAA - NWS Thunderstorm Safety Booklet (13.9 MB)
- NOAA - NWS Lightning Safety Brochure (565.5 KB)
- NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio Brochure (2.61 MB)
- NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio Transmitter Map