|SKYWARN Training from NWS Mobile / Pensacola|
Remaining Classes for
Spring 2013 SkyWarn Spotter Training
Date Time Class Location Contact to Register March 19
6-8 PM CST Basic Stone County Mississippi. Meets at the Westside Community Center, 45 Magnolia Road, Perkinston, Mississippi 39573.
Raven James - EMA Director Stone County Mississippi601-928-3077
March 21 6-8 PM CST
Choctaw County Alabama. Meets at the Choctaw County Emergency Management Office, 816 West Pushmataha Street, Butler, AL 36904
Tyler Davidson - EMA Director Choctaw County Alabama
- Basic SkyWarn class...This is the introductory course that describes the basic forms of severe weather, what NWS SkyWarn spotters do, basic spotting techniques, how to make reports to the NWS, and basic storm safety. The class is approximately 2 hours.
- Advanced Level 1 SkyWarn class...This course covers in greater detail storm structure, tornado-genesis, basic parameters NWS Meteorologists look for to determine severe storm potential, and basic radar meteorology. This class is approximately 1.5 hours.
- Advanced Level 2 SkyWarn class...This course covers more advanced radar meteorology, an overview of advanced tools used by experienced mobile storm spotters, and higher level meteorological parameters that NWS meteorologists use to predict severe weather. The class is approximately 1.5 hours.
There are no formal prerequisites for the Basic SkyWarn class, however we would recommend attendees take our online training before-hand...
- Role of the SkyWarn Spotter... https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=817amp;caller=/COMET/events/EventList.aspx
- SkyWarn Spotter Convective Basics... https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=816amp;caller=/COMET/events/EventList.aspx
For the Advanced SkyWarn class, attendees will first need to take the Basic SkyWarn class to have a basic foundation for the more advanced topics that will be covered.