MIAMI OBSERVATION HISTORY
The three maps below provide chronological positions of the observation site for the period of record (including Fort Dallas, the Biscayne cooperative observation site, and the Miami sites, 1837 through the present).
1 - Estimated site of Biscayne (Hunt, Sturtevant, observers) 1870-1880
2 - Approximate site of Lemon City (White, observer) 1895-1900
3 - downtown sites 1-4 (see Map 2)
4 - Lindsey Hopkins Bldg, fifth site of WBO Miami, 1410 NE 2nd Ave, site of WBO Miami 1948-1958
Gold circle - approximate location of Fitzpatrick plantation (1830s) and Fort Dallas on the banks of the Miami River, 1837-1858, which became Julia Tuttle's homestead in 1891.
1 - Miami cooperative observation site, the Rev. Blackman observer, 1900-1911
2 - Bank of Bay Biscayne, corner of Flagler and Miami Ave., first site of WBO Miami, 1911-1914
3 - Old Federal Building, corner of 1st Ave and 1st St NE, second site of WBO Miami, 1914-1929
4 - Seybold Building, third site of WBO Miami, 1929-1943
5 - Congress Building, fourth site of WBO Miami, 1943-1948 (after 1948, all observations moved to the airport)
1 - first site of WBAS Miami (11229 NW 42nd Ave), old Miami Municipal Airport, 1929-1942
2 - second site of WBAS Miami (5010 NW 36th St), Pan American Field, which became Miami International Airport, 1942-1957
3 - third site of WBAS Miami (20th Street side of the airport), 1957-1975, instruments remained until 1977
4 - weather instrument location at MIA, 1977-present (ASOS commissioned May 21, 1996)