FORT LAUDERDALE OBSERVATION HISTORY

The map below provides a chronological position of the observation site for the period of record (November 1912 through the present) including the two present locations (Dixie Water Plant and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport).

FLL

1  -  November 1912 - October 1916, location near Post Office (likely near SW 1st Avenue and Deer Street (today's Wall Street))
2  -  October 1916 - May 1 1927, location 1000 ft south of New River and 2 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean (311 Willsey's Court, today in the vicinity of SE 6th Court between SE 1st and SE 3rd Avenues )
3  -  May 2 1927  -  July 10 1929, location 503 E. North Street (today's NE 4th Street)
4  -  July 11 1929  -  May 1937, location 16 NW 7th Avenue (where a fire and police department once was located)
5  -  May 10 1937 - January 5 1938, location SE 7th St and Andrews Avenue at Fire Station (in 2009 a law firm is in the old fire station bldg)
6  -  January 5 1938  -  August 1941, location downtown Fire Station at SW 2nd St and Andrews Avenue, described as "poor exposure"
7  -  September 1941  -  July 1945, location at the foot of SE 12th Street at the Fort Lauderdale Yacht Club
8  -  April 1946  -  June 9 1960, location at residence 1439 SW 6th Avenue, (formerly 607 SW 15th Street)
9  -  June 10 1960 -  May 13 1963, location at residence 702 SW 15th Street
10  -  May 14 1963  -  present, location at Dixie Water Plant, U.S. 441 south of Davie Blvd on east side of the highway (FTLF1)
11  -  January 1 2000 - present, ASOS commissioned at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Int'l Airport on Sept. 9, 1998, main Fort Lauderdale climate site changed from Dixie Water Plant to FLL on 1/1/2000. (KFLL)

 



USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.