Severe/Winter Weather Guides
About This Page
The National Weather Service authors Severe and Winter Weather guides annually. The guides serve to educate the public about hazardous weather and how to prepare for severe and winter storms.
 
Winter Guide (The First Freeze)
 
So when does it freeze in Arkansas? Farmers and gardeners alike are interested in this question because of the toll a hard freeze can take on plant life. Of course, pets are affected by the cold as well...and should be protected on very cold nights. But now the answer to the question...

Freezing temperatures are common in northern Arkansas by the latter part of October. By November 1st, about the northern half of the state has experienced freezing temperatures...with just about all of Arkansas in a freeze by November 10th.

As freezing temperatures first occur in the Fall, the National Weather Service will alert residents by issuing Freeze Warnings. The warnings simply mean that freezing temperatures are expected...and to bring plants indoors and protect outdoor pets.

Even when reported temperatures do not reach freezing (such as the mid 30s), readings at ground level may be cold enough for frost to form. Frost is usually noted on clear, cold nights with little to no wind. On such nights, dew often forms on plants...with the dew becoming ice crystals or frost.

For those interested in when first (Fall) freezes/frosts occur, or even last (Spring) freezes/frosts...use the drop down menu below and pick a location near you.

 
Frost and Freeze Information for Arkansas
Use the dropdown menu below to find first (Fall) and last (Spring) frost and freeze dates for a location near you.
SITE: LITTLE ROCK ADAMS AP
 
FFrost FFreeze LFreeze LFrost
11/03 11/14 03/20 04/02

Please Note: The dates shown are based on climatological normals, with a temperature of 36° for frost and 32° for a freeze. There is at least a 50 percent probability that a first (F) or last (L) Frost/Freeze will occur on these dates. Probabilities go up to 90 percent for a FFrost/FFreeze two weeks later and a LFrost/LFreeze two weeks prior. Probabilities go down to 10 percent for a FFrost/Freeze two weeks prior and a LFrost/LFreeze two weeks later. The dates are courtesy of the National Climatic Data Center.
 
This information is based on 1981-2010 normals. To access data for the previous thirty years (1971-2000) for Arkansas and other states, click here.
 

USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.