Lubbock Office History 1911: A cooperative station (temperature and precipitation observations) was established at the Texas Agricultural Experimental Station, located 3 miles east of the Lubbock Post Office.
1936: The station was moved to the Lubbock Municipal Airport – 5 miles north of the Post Office.
1940: An office was established in the Texas Technological College (now TTU) Chemistry Bldg, but when America entered World War II (1941) the office was quickly moved back to the airport to support pilot training.
1946: The National Weather Bureau Office was established at the airport on the north side of the main hanger. The wind equipment was located 7 feet atop the hanger.
1948: The office was moved to a new building northeast of the main hanger.
1950: The office moved again to the new terminal building. The wind equipment was installed on top of the tower at 68 feet above ground.
1965: The office moved to the Executive Air Terminal Building on the east side of the airport.
1970: The Weather Bureau becomes the National Weather Service, part of the Department of Commerce.
1993: The new WSR-88 Doppler Radar was built on the east side of the airport property. In December, the Lubbock NWS office moves to the Science Spectrum building.
1995: The ASOS station was commissioned – located in the airport runway complex.
Page last modified: August 28, 2006