1931 to 1940 – Hawkins Weather Bureau Airport Station Established
In 1931, a Weather Bureau Airport Station was established at Hawkins Field at the Jackson Municipal Airport located at 1130 Woodrow Wilson Avenue. This was the first time regular and routine Weather Bureau observations were taken. It was also around this time that the teletype replaced telegraph and telephone services as the primary method for communicating weather information.
The Weather Bureau Airport Station was closed in June 1935, due to budget restrictions during the Depression era, and aviation weather observations were taken at the airport by employees of the U.S. Department of Air Commerce (later to become the Commerce Department). From 1935 to 1939, climatological observations were taken by an interim cooperative observer located in the rear of an automobile repair shop at 701 East Silas Brown Street. The Weather Bureau Airport Station reopened in Jackson at Hawkins Field in 1939. The first Official-in-Charge (OIC) of the first Weather Bureau Airport Station at Jackson from 1931 to 1935 is not known, nor is the OIC of the re-established office in 1939. However, Mr. George V. Fish was the OIC as early as 1941 and remained as OIC at Jackson into the 1950s.
In the late 30s and 40s, forecasts for Mississippi were issued from New Orleans, Louisiana while the office at Jackson issued warnings and adaptive forecasts as well as observations.
Much of this history is comprised of information from research done by Mr. Murray W. Smith, prepared in 1949 and Gary Grice, prepared on 2006.