1899 to 1931 – Weather Bureau Voluntary/Cooperative Observers
Voluntary/cooperative weather observations were taken at the Western Union Office on Capitol Street in Jackson beginning in July 1899. The voluntary/cooperative station was located approximately one-quarter mile northwest and observations continued through June 1906. All of the observers were employees of the Western Union telegraph office except one who was employed by Postal Telegraph which was located next door to Western Union. From 1905 to 1931, Weather Bureau cooperative observations were taken at various locations. The sites included private property, the Board of Trade Building (also known as the Lamar Mutual Life Insurance Building), Fransioli’s Rookery, and the Post Office Building.
Much of this history is comprised of information from research done by Mr. Murray W. Smith, prepared in 1949 and Gary Grice, prepared on 2006.