Bring the family to the Brownsville/Rio Grande Valley National Weather Service Office for a day of fun and learning! Our staff, along with partners from the City of Brownsville and elsewhere in the Valley will welcome you to a host of activities. Check out what we have in store:
- Tours. Learn how we collect and analyze data to predict the weather for the RGV, and how we provide forecasts, warnings, and other information that you can use to protect your life and livelihood. Meet and talk with the staff who live in your "neighborhood" and answer this noble calling.
- Fun and Games
- Try to make it "pour" more than your competition in our rain gage measurement contest
- See how a waterspout forms!
- Learn how to make a cloud
- What is heat conduction?
- Launch your own mini weather balloon!
- More to be announced!
- Weather Balloon Launches at Noon and 2 PM!
- Meet Others Who Keep You Safe. Scheduled to Appear (Subject to Change and more to be announced):
- City of Brownsville Fire Department
- Insurance Council of Texas
- Lower Rio Grande Valley Development Council
- American Red Cross, South Texas Branch
- Texas General Land Office
- Cameron County Health
- Amateur Radio Operators
- Rio Grande Valley Radio and Television (invited)
- Food. Inexpensive choices will be available from our vendors:
- Maira’s Cafe (tacos, nachos, and more)
- More to Come!
- Prizes! Dozens of door prizes totalling $thousands will be given away throughout the day. Weather–wise (below) and otherwise:
- NOAA Weather Radios and Marine Radios
- Emergency Kits
- Rain Gages
- Home Improvement Items (Lowe’s, Home Depot)
- Gift Certificates from Local Restaurants
- Brownsville Historical Museum
- Brownsville Museum of Fine Art
- Gladys Porter Zoo
- Oil changes/safety point checks from local dealers
- ...and More!
All roads lead to 20 South Vermillion Road! Black arrows guide you to the office location, on the side of the Brownsville/South Padre Island International Airport. Need a wider view? Click here for a zoomable map in Google Earth. Need Google Earth? Download here.
Flow diagram of people (pedestrians) and vehicles through the NWS Brownsville/Rio Grande Valley office, vendor/exhibitor area, and grounds. Parking will be available for nearly 200 vehicles at one time (click to enlarge).
The Willacy County/Emergency Medical Task Force–11 "AmBus" is coming!