Huntsville Tornado, Nov. 15, 1989 - Southern Region Disaster Survey
Preparedness Activities Related to Madison County, Alabama,
Conducted by WSO Huntsville
|Below are summarized the documented preparedness activities in Madison County over the last three years. The National Weather Service, Southern Region, encourages documentation of preparedness related activities through the use of a Preparedness Contact Sheet, see Regional Operations Manual Letter S-11-82 filed with WSOM Chapter C-49. The Contact Sheet allows easy notation of the people, places, and actions involved in preparedness activities.
- 4/25/89 Spotter training session for fire department EMTs at Toney, AL, with 20 attendees.
- 2/20-24/88 Severe Weather Awareness Week in Alabama.
- 11/15/88 Spotter training session for Huntsville Madison County EMA with 12 attendees.
- 4/22/88 Spotter training session for the Huntsville Amateur Radio Club in Huntsville with 90 attending.
- 3/3/88 Awareness/safety presentation to a meeting of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Huntsville with 36 attendees.
- 2/22-26/88 Severe Weather Awareness Week in Alabama.
- 2/18/88 Visited radio station WEUP-AM, a predominantly Black station, and delivered severe weather awareness week public service announcements for use on the air.
- 2/5/88 Awareness/safety presentation and visit to the weather office by second graders from Westlawn Elementary School.
- 9/15/87 Spotter training session at the Huntsville Police Academy to 29 police cadets.
- 5/5/87 Awareness/safety presentation to the Jetplex Kiwanis Club with 21 attendees.
- 3/23/87 Awareness/safety presentation to the U. S. Coast Guard Auxiliary weather class at Calhoun Junior College with 16 attendees.
- 3/18/87 Spotter training to 22 security officers with Intergraph Corporation. Madison County EMA also participated.
- 3/6/87 Spotter training session for 25 people from the Madison, AL, Police Department and Madison County EMA.
- 2/23/87 Awareness/safety presentation to 66 people at the North Alabama Craftsmens Association in Huntsville.
- 2/22-28/87 Severe Weather Awareness Week in Alabama.
- 2/18/87 Interview with WAHR radio. Portions of interview were aired each day during Severe Weather Awareness Week.
- 2/12/87 Awareness/safety presentation to the Chaffee Homemakers Club with 18 attending.
- 2/5/87 Live interviews from NWS office by WAAY-TV including broadcast of evening weather program from the WSO.
- 1/16/87 Tornado safety presentation to the Huntsville High School Health Club with 200 attending.