|Follow National Weather Service Amarillo on Twitter
|In addition to our Facebook page, NWS Amarillo is now on Twitter. If you follow us, you will be able to get all of the severe weather products we issue, including severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado warnings, and flash flood warnings. Additionally, we will post interesting links, images, videos, and climate stats. We can be found on Twitter, using the handle @NWSAmarillo.
|Submit a Storm Report via Twitter
Those that have been using the #txwx or #okwx hashtag to tweet storm reports and weather conditions should continue to do so. To help the NWS even more, you are encouraged to also geotag your storm reports, using one of the methods below. If geotagging is available on your 3rd party Twitter application:
1. Make sure geotagging is turned on for your 3rd party Twitter app.
2. Make sure geotagging is turned on for your Twitter account page.
Through the web page: http://twitter.com/account/settings
From your mobile device: http://twitter.com/account/settings/geo
3. Submit your Tweet report via your 3rd party app in the following format:
your significant weather report #txwx or #okwx
Some examples of weather report tweets with geotagging:
Ex. 1: 5.0" of total snow as of 3:00 p.m. #txwx
Ex. 2: Hail 1 1/2 inch in diameter at 6:25 p.m. #okwx
If geotagging is NOT available on your 3rd party Twitter application (or you want to use the web-based twitter.com):
1. Log into your Twitter account via the web or mobile device.
2. Submit your tweet report in the following format:
WW your location WW your significant weather report #txwx or #okwx
3. Your location can be just about anything, but the more specific the better. Here are some examples listed from most accurate to least accurate location identification:
Some examples of weather report tweets without geotagging:
- A latitude and longitude (most accurate): WW 36.1, -102.55 WW
- An address: WW 1900 English Rd, Amarillo, TX WW
- A street intersection: WW intersection of Bell St and 45th Ave, Amarillo, TX WW
- A city name: WW Pampa, TX WW
- A zip code (least accurate): WW 79022 WW
Ex. 1: WW 1900 English Rd, Amarillo, TX WW 5.0" of total snow as of 3:00 p.m. #txwx
Ex. 2: WW 44.115, -88.595 WW Hail 1 1/2 inch in diameter at 6:25 p.m. #okwx
|What to Report
You can tweet any weather event that occurs in your local area, but we are most interested in significant events like severe weather, flooding, snowfall, fires, etc. In particular:
- Tornadoes or funnel clouds
- Damage from winds -- briefly describe what was damaged and time it occurred.
- Hail -- include size of hail and time it fell.
- Flooding -- briefly describe what is occurring.
- Snowfall during an event and storm total. When reporting snowfall, include the time period when it fell.
- Freezing rain or freezing drizzle producing a glaze on objects or roads.
- Dense fog restricting visibility to less than one half of a mile.